Information collection and usage
Information you provide us
Your Account – When you connect with our services, we collect some information to setup your account. For example, to setup your Splash Moji account we need basic information such as first name, last name, an email address or social media accounts permission, and your phone number. To make it easier for others to find you, we may also ask you to provide us with some additional information that will be publicly visible on our services, e.g. your name and profile picture or other useful identifying information. Other services, such as buying emojis feature may also require you to provide us with a debit or credit card number and its associated account information. We use Google Wallet, a payment service by Google which allows users to make online payments using their Google credentials.
Your Messages – Furthermore, you’ll also provide us whatever messages you send through the services, such as emoji, pics, videos and chats to your friends. We do not retain such information in the ordinary course of providing our Services to you. Once your messages (including your chats, videos, photos, emojis are delivered, they are deleted from our servers. Your messages are stored on your own device. If a message cannot be delivered immediately (for example, if you are offline), we may keep it on our servers for up to 10 days as we try to deliver it. If a message is still undelivered after 10 days, we delete it. However, keep in mind that the users you send emoji, pics, videos and chats and any other content to can always save that content or copy it outside the app.
Customer Support – When you contact Customer Support or communicate with us in any other way, we’ll collect whatever information you provide us.
Automatic information we get when you use our services
User Log – When you use our services, we automatically collect information about which of those services you’ve used and how often you used them. How you communicate with other users, such as their names, the time and date of your communications, the number of messages you exchange with your contacts, which contacts you exchange messages with the most.
Device information – We collect information about and from the devices you use such as:
- information about your hardware and software, e.g. device model, operating system, device memory, advertising identifiers, unique application identifiers, installed apps, unique device identifiers, type of browser, language, time zone and battery level;
- information from device sensors, e.g. gyroscopes, accelerometers, compasses, microphones and headphone connection; and
- information about your wireless and mobile network connections, e.g. mobile phone number, service provider and signal strength.
Device phonebook – Splash Moji is all about chatting and sharing emotions with your contacts and therefore, we may with your consent collect information from your device’s phonebook.
Camera and gallery – Sharing and receiving services require us to collect images and videos from your device’s camera and gallery. For example, you won’t be able to send or upload photos or videos from your device unless we can access your camera and gallery.
Location information – When you use our services, we may collect information about your location. We may with your Consent collect information about your precise location (non-continuous) using tools on your device including GPS, wireless networks, Wi-Fi access points, cell towers and other sensors such as gyroscopes, accelerometers and compasses.
Information we collect from third parties
Other users provide information about you when they use our services and we may collect that information. For example, if another user of our services allows us to collect information from the phonebook of their device and you’re one of the user’s contacts in that phonebook then we may combine the information we collect from that user’s phonebook with other information we have collected about you. We may also obtain information from any other third-party sources e.g. advertisers may let us know when you installed our app.
How we use information
We use information to improve our application for better user experience through:
- improve, operate, maintain, protect, deliver protect our product and services.
- send you communications, including by email and/or SMS messaging to allow you to manage your account. For example, we may use email to send you your account login information.
- personalise the services, alongwith other things customising the content we show you, including adverts.
- Provide advert targeting through Google AdMob, including the use of your precise location data (if you’ve consented to us collecting that data), both on and off our services.
- trend and usage analysis.
- improve the security and safety of our product and services.
- verify your identity and prevent fraud or other unauthorised or illegal activity.
- use information we’ve collected from cookies and other technology to enhance the services and your experience with them.
- implement our Terms of Service and other usage policy.
We may also store or use information locally on your device. For example, we may store information as local cache so that you can open the app and view content faster, we don’t store this information on our servers or share it with third parties.
How we share information
We do not share information about you except for in the following situations:
Users using our services – Your name, email address, phone number and profile photo may be available to anyone who is using our service. This is required so users may decide whom to allow or disallow to connect via our services.
Users in your Contacts and Others – Users with whom you communicate may store or reshare your information e.g. share messages with others on and off our Services. To manage the users of our Services with whom you communicate and share certain information, you can use the block feature in our Services settings.
Third-Party Providers – We work with third-party providers to help us operate, provide, improve, understand, customise, support, and market our Services. We require third party providers with whom we share information to use your information in accordance with our terms and instructions or with your express permission.
With third parties for legal reasons – We may share information about you if we reasonably believe that disclosing the information is needed to:
- comply with any valid legal process, applicable law, rule or regulation or governmental request.
- investigate, treat, or enforce potential violations of Terms of Service.
- protect our, our users’ or others’ rights, property and safety.
- detect and resolve any fraud or security concerns.
With third parties as part of a merger or acquisition – If Splash Moji. gets involved in a merger, asset sale, financing, liquidation or bankruptcy, or acquisition of all or some portion of our business to another company, we may share your information with that company before and after the transaction closes.
What information do we keep and for how long
We keep profile information e.g. name, email, phone number which is required to log in to our services. All your messages are stored locally on your device. We keep undelivered message on our server for upto 10 days. Our systems are designed to automatically carry our deletion process, we cannot promise that deletion will occur within a specified timeframe. There may be situations beyond our control e.g. legal requirement to store your data and therefore, we may need to suspend those deletion process if we receive valid legal process asking us not to delete the content or if we receive report of abuse or violation of our Terms of Service.
Control over your information
In order for you to be in control of your information, we provide you with the following tools:
Access and updates – We aim to let you to access and update most of your information that we have about you. We strive to let you access and update most of the personal information that we have about you. However, there are limitations to the extent of requests we accommodate. We may reject a request for a number of reasons, including, for example, that the request risks the privacy of other users, requires technical efforts that are unreasonable to the request, is repetitive, or is illegal. You can access and update most of your basic account information right in the app by visiting the app’s profile page.
Revoking permissions – if you change your mind regarding sharing of certain information e.g. phone book or location service, you can simply revoke such permissions by changing the settings of your device, if your device offers those options. However, if you do that then certain services may not be able to function at all.
Communicating with your contacts – It is important for us that you stay in control with whom you communicate with. That’s why we’ve built a number of tools in Settings that let you indicate, alongwith other things, whether you’d like to receive messages from other users or you’d like to block another user from contacting you again.
European Union Users
If you are a user in European Union then you should know that we are the controller of your information. Our contact details are as follows:
The Terracotta Company Pty Limited. 28 Simms Road Oakhurst NSW 2761 Australia.
Contact email: email@example.com
We would like you to know the following:
Bases for using your information
We are allowed by your country to use your personal information when certain conditions “legal bases” are apply and for this purpose we typically rely on one of the following 4 conditions:
Contract. One reason for us to use your information is that you have entered into a contract with us to provide you our services. For example, when you buy our emoji we need some of your information to process your payment. We process payments using Google Play Services, Google Wallet.
- Fair interest.Another reason we might use your information is because we have, or third party has a fair interest in doing so. For example, we might use your information to provide your service, improve our service, delivering your messages to your contacts that you have allowed to receive in Splash Moji, protecting your account, providing customer support, helping you to easily find and send requests to your contacts, enforce our policies and terms. Most of our services are free and we may use your information to show you advertising based on your interests. An important point to note is that our fair interest would not out weight your privacy rights. Therefore, we only rely on fair interest in using your information when providing you our services.
- Legal obligation.We may be required to use your personal information to comply with the law, For example, in response to valid legal process or need to take action to protect our users.
- In order for us to provide you services we may ask your consent to use your information for specific purposes. In this case we make sure that you can revoke our permissions through your device permissions. Even if we’re not relying on consent to use your information, we may ask you for permission to access data such as contacts and location.
You have the rights to object to us of our use of your information. With most of the data we have provided you the ability to simply delete it if you no longer want us to process it. For other types of data, you can simply revoke our access by disabling the feature on your device altogether. You can do these things by using your device. If there are other types of information that you don’t want us to process, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
International transfer of information
We may collect your personal information, transfer, store and process it to the United States and countries other than where you live. Whenever we share information of EU users outside the EU we make sure an adequate security mechanism is in place.
You can always file a complaint with the supervisory authority in your Member State if you are living in the EU.
Our services are not intended, and we don’t direct them to anyone under the age of 13. Therefore, we don’t intentionally collect personal information from anyone under 13. Furthermore, we may limit collecting information of users between 13 and 16 and in EU because your country requires consent from parent when using our services. Hence, we may require your parent’s consent before we collect and use that information to provide our services.